If you’re feeling a bit blue, you might be surprised to hear that there are lots of ways to lift your mood in less than a minute. Skeptical? Try these and see!
1. Put some drops of lavender and orange essential oils in a diffuser. These oils have been shown to help
with anxiety and to promote calmness and positivity.
2. Have a snack. A handful of nuts or a square of dark chocolate will send endorphins flooding into your brain and lift your mood fast.
3. Get some sunshine. Go outside and get some fresh air and some sunshine. Exposure to sunlight triggers the brain to release serotonin. Serotonin helps regulate mood and anxiety. Studies have shown that people
who have significant exposure to light have less depression, fewer sleep problems, and are even more productive. If you can’t make it outside, go and look out of a window.
4. Go for a walk. Even walking around the block will help to lift your mood, heart rate, and energy levels.
5. Close your eyes and focus on your breath. Breathe in and out deeply three times. Focused breathing lowers
your blood pressure and calms the mind. Deep breathing can help reduce stress levels instantly.
6. Lift your shoulders up to your ears and then let them drop. Do this three times and feel the tension ebb
away. It’s easy to hold on to a lot of tension and stress without realizing it.
7. If you’re feeling nervous before an interview or presentation, go into the stairwell or the restroom.
Breathe in, open your arms wide, breathe out, and give yourself a big hug. It’s almost impossible to do this without smiling.
8. Smile! Smile and make eye contact with a colleague, the guy in the coffee shop, or the person serving
you at the deli. The physical act of using your smile muscles can genuinely make you feel happy. And it’s contagious. Chances are, you’ll make them smile too, which will improve their day.
9. Stand up straight Lift your head and throw your shoulders back. Adopt a Wonder Woman or Superman pose and feel the change in your energy.
10. A cup of tea or coffee will instantly lift your mood. You probably know that caffeine is a stimulant but even low- or no-caffeine hot drinks will give you a boost or calm you down, whether it’s chamomile or green tea, a chai latte or hot water, or lemon.
11. Listen to music that you love. You can choose custom mood music or play your old favorites. Music has
been shown to have a powerful effect on mood.
12. Ask for a hug. Probably not from your boss, but a family member or friend would love to give you the
instant comfort of an embrace.